Don't overthink it: letting your brain work through trauma with EMDR
- Video: Overview of EMDR Therapy with Dr. Francine Shapiro
- What is EMDR? Information from the EMDR Institute (12/2014). Pages 1-2 summarize "What is EMDR", pages 3-4 summarize the "History of EMDR", and page 5 summarizes "EMDR Theory". Alternatively, go to http://www.emdr.com/what-is-emdr/
- Is EMDR the Cure? Article about EMDR with trauma and addiction - including reference to the Thurston County Drug Court's integrated trauma treatment program using EMDR.
- TedX Talk Video: Healing Trauma, Healing Humanity: Rolf Carriere
- Introducing EMDR to Physicians and Other Professionals
- Understanding EMDR: From the EMDR Research Foundation.
- New York Times: Ask the Expert about EMDR: Dr. Francine Shapiro
- Research Article: A meta-analysis of the contribution of eye movements in processing emotional memories (Lee and Cujipers, 2012) A systematic review of the literature revealed two groups of studies. The first group comprised 15 clinical trials and compared the effects of EMDR therapy with eye movements to those of EMDR without the eye movements. The second group comprised 11 laboratory trials that investigated the effects of eye movements while thinking of a distressing memory versus the same procedure without the eye movements in a non-therapy context. ...
EMDR Research Foundation's website
EMDR Clinical and Research Links for Professionals
AmazonSmile: 1/2 of 1% to support EMDR research!
EMDR International Association (EMDRIA)
Francine Shapiro Library
Definition of EMDR - by EMDR International Association
Other links to EMDR articles available on the web:
- Is EMDR an Exposure Therapy? This 2002 article by Rogers and Silver presents the theoretical base and clinical practice of exposure therapy for trauma, and contrasts EMDR procedures. EMDR's lack of physiological habituation and its use of spontaneous association should result in negligible or even negative effects according to an exposure model of treatment. Possible reasons for the well researched positive outcomes seen in EMDR are discussed - with an exploration of the non-exposure mechanisms utilized in information processing models.
- Power, K., McGoldrick, T., Brown, K., Buchanan, R., Sharp, D., Swanson, V., & Karatzias, A. (2002, August). A controlled comparison of eye movement desensitization and reprocessing versus exposure plus cognitive restructuring, versus waiting list in the treatment of post traumatic stress disorder. Journal of Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy, 9(5), 299-318. doi:10.1002/cpp.341.
- EMDR: Its Cautious Use in Dissociative Disorders by Sandra Paulsen (1995)